SBIR/STTR is a unique and comprehensive program assists companies seeking Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grants and matches many of those awards dollar-for-dollar.
SBIR/STTR, known as “America’s Seed Fund,” provides non-dilutive capital for small businesses to conduct research and development on innovations with potential for commercialization. Awarded companies hone technological breakthroughs that meet the R&D needs of federal departments ranging from NASA to the United States Department of Agriculture, while being incentivized to profit from product commercialization.
Next Funding Round Open NOW
KY SBIR/STTR Matching Fund Program 2019-001 is now open. Solicitation window closes and applications are due May 31, 2019. Information about the program and how to apply are included in the guidelines below.SBIR/STTR Guidelines
Questions? Email Kristine.Mcniel@ky.gov
Kentucky leads the way in supporting SBIR/STTR awardees. The Commonwealth will match, on a competitive basis, Phase 1 and Phase 2 federal awards received by Kentucky high-tech small businesses and those willing to become Kentucky-based businesses. Since its inception in 2006, the matching program has contributed to:
- 665 jobs created
- 22 licensing agreements executed
- 208 patents filed
- 42 out-of-state companies moved to KY
- $46.3 million in federal grants awarded from six agencies
The program has been a win-win for companies and the state, with $1.84 in federal awards leveraged for every $1 awarded in state matching funds.
Kentucky Innovation Investment Program (KIIP)
Entrepreneurs who have some of the most amazing and technologically advanced business ideas often need assistance getting their company on solid footing and their product to market.
That’s why the Kentucky Innovation Investment Program (KIIP) was created.
KIIP exists to help those entrepreneurs and new companies land the highly competitive and prestigious SBIR/STTR federal grants, which are then matched with state funds. Assistance comes in the form of outreach, recruitment, analysis, expert grant writing services and post-grant management assistance.
Click the video icon to view the most recent SBIR/STTR webinar. Click below to register for the June 18th webinar.
View All Webinars
- Align SBIR/STTR opportunities with economic and tech development needs.
- Develop more competitive SBIR/STTR proposals to maximize the probability of receiving funding.
- Provide supplemental support for SBIR/STTR-funded companies. A dedicated KIIP fund will build over the next five years along with the growing number of funded companies.
In addition to continuing to provide opportunities for SBIR/STTR companies to learn and network both faceto-face and digitally, KIIP provides candidate companies with access to expert consulting services. Kentucky will continue its commitment to provide competitive matching funds for successful SBIR/STTR applicants in Phases I and II.
Kentucky also offers a wide range of professional services to qualified companies. Those services include:
- Technology assessment
- Preparing comprehensive strategic non-dilutive funding plans that align them with SBIR/STTR opportunities that meet their economic and technology development needs
- Determining whether multiple agency applications are warranted, increasing chances of funding
- Assistance in developing competitive SBIR/STTR proposals to maximize probability of securing funding
- Accounting, compliance and grants management support for SBIR/STTR-funded companies