KY FOUNDERS SPOTLIGHT: Joshua and Jared Ravenscraft
Joshua and Jared Ravenscraft are co-founders and CEO and COO, respectively, of Morehead-based New Frontier Outfitters.
- What does New Frontier Outfitters do? We are an Appalachian apparel and clothing brand representing our region on a global scale and spreading our Appalachian roots abroad. We believe in empowering individuals in Appalachia, driving positive environmental change in the textile industry and improving the lives of the company’s employees and the community at large
- What sets New Frontier apart? Our core values and our standards. We challenge the status quo of what the normal is in our industry and look forward to interpreting those norms to make better and do good.
- What was the greatest challenge you encountered in launching your startup and how did you overcome it? The “hardest” part that I encountered in the early days of launching the company was realizing, nobody is going to tell you to start, to keep going, to stay motivated, or tell you it’s the “right time. Those questions can only be answered by the founder(s), who must lead the charge.
- What are you most proud of about New Frontier? I am most proud of New Frontier for representing the great state of Kentucky, the great people in the state and all those great people in the Appalachian Mountains in a positive way. We get to represent Kentucky and Appalachia on the International stage. All eyes are on our region now and it starts with the people believing in the vision with us to achieve greater [things].
- What piece of advice do you have for new founders – or – what have you learned that you wish you’d known when launching a startup? Work like hell, enjoy the low times just as much as the high times. There is no end, but a continuous building of bringing your vision to reality every single day. Build brick by brick and have a strong core foundation of who your company is, what you stand for and what you do not stand for.
- What is the most important ingredient or ingredients for a thriving startup ecosystem? There must be a sense of forward thinking, from an individual or a community at large willing to work together for a bigger purpose or direction. Those who work alone for personal glory or credit get nowhere, fast. Together we rise.
- What makes Kentucky a great place to innovate? The people, the culture, the history, and being a Kentucky based, grown, and founded business. There is nothing more exciting than being a small part in bringing your home state recognition in doing the impossible in Eastern Kentucky with a underdog story. From my brother and I being janitors early on, to building a global Appalachian Brand in just two years, that shows you the strong rooted support here in Kentucky for entrepreneurs with a vision.
Find out more about New Frontier Outfitters by visiting www.madeforthejourney.com.
Know a startup founder or entrepreneur with a story to tell about their journey? Send your ideas to email@example.com.